TNT

If you have a Tried -N- True Recipe that you would like to add. Please let me know and it can be added. I love new things to try...or for that matter I love old recipes that I have never tried before.

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Quick Pork roast with Bread Dumplings

I have a family friend who I call "Aunt Maria". She is from Czeckoslovakia which is now known as the Czech Republic. She taught me long ago to make czech bread dumplings. When we were in Prague I ordered their goulash with dumplings. I was utterly pleased when they were the bread dumplings that she has taught to make years ago.
We found pre-made ones in Bergreinfeld where Jeni and Al live. We hoped for the best and they did not disappoint. But I digress.
We were starving when we returned from church and I wanted something quick. We had pork roast and a package of the dumplings. I opted to cut the raw pork roast into bite size pieces, coat it in flour, and braised it with onions, carrots, ground pepper, and a herbed salt we found in Salzburg. The meat was tender and juicy and tasty. It left a wonderful base for a gravy. A little gooseberry jam was added to the gravy and it was super! When it was all done, we added the pre-cooked dumplings on top, covered it and let them steam. It was so fresh and tasted like the meal we had had in Prague.
Now if you cannot find pre-made dumplings I am including the recipe that Aunt Maria gave me years ago.
1 pkg of yeast
1/2 c Warm-not hot milk to activate the yeast
1 pinch of salt
2 eggs
3-4 c of flour
2 rolls broken up small or 4 white pieces of bread torn up
mix ingredients in order. Let rise for an hour. Form into loaf shapes and then drop in hot boiling salted water. COVER-DO NOT PEEK! Keep covered and boiling for 20 minutes. When they are done remove and cut them into thin slices with a piece of White thread. There are two kinds of dumpling on this picture, one is the potato dumpling and is more yellow in color. The other is white and the bread dumpling. They are wonderful for using with any meat and gravy. Also tasty with Cabbage and potatoes cooked together!

No comments:

Post a Comment